You’ve been trying to conceive for over a year now. When you and your partner first decided to start trying for a baby, you never imagined you would still be trying over a year later!
You’re heard about doing a detox to improve your fertility but you’re not sure about how to detox, whether it will work, or if it’s even safe. But you’re at the point where you’re willing to do ANYTHING to conceive your baby.
Firstly, I’m going to say yes – detoxing MAY help you improve your chances of conceiving. Naturally helping your bodily detoxification processes can assist with balancing hormones, and removing toxins from your body is definitely beneficial.
But before you dive into a detox, you need to know how to detox safely.
Detox for fertility
Detoxing is not recommended while you’re actively trying to conceive. This is why the preconception period is so important for improving your health BEFORE you conceive – this period gives you the opportunity to get your health on track without doing anything that could compromise your baby if you conceive. (I include a 2 week detox in the Ultimate Preconception Program – check it out for your best chances of conceiving naturally)
Detoxing safely involves:
- Keeping hydrated. Aim for 2-3 litres of water per day. Don’t like water? Try infused water with fruits & herbs, or make herbal tea (hot or chilled) – this counts towards your water intake.
- Eating wholefoods and avoiding packaged & processed foods. Ditch anything at the grocery store that comes pre-packaged and stick to fresh produce only. Consume lots of vegetables and fruits, choose lean proteins (plant based proteins such as chickpeas, lentils and beans are recommended), and opt for nuts and seeds for healthy fats.
- Choose organic where possible. Conventionally grown produce is laden with pesticide residue and other endocrine disrupting chemicals which will hinder the detoxification process. Choose organic to reduce your liver burden while detoxing.
- Avoid consuming caffeine, alcohol or refined sugar as these will place extra burden on your liver.
- Detoxing is not about starving yourself or doing long juice fasts or anything extreme. It’s about eating fresh & healthy!
Imagine improving your health and starting your pregnancy on the right foot. Detoxing can set you up with healthy habits you can continue right through conception & pregnancy for the best outcomes for you and your baby.
Want to know more about improving your fertility naturally? Download the Fertility Cheatsheet – your guide to improving your chances of conceiving.